MANILA, Philippines — Former Kapamilya singer Rachelle Ann Go and former MYX VJ K-La Rivera are the latest “Miss Saigon” hopefuls to get callback slips on the second day of Manila auditions for the international hit musical.
Go and Rivera joined ABS-CBN talents Karylle and Tippy dos Santos who both auditioned on Monday and have moved to the next round of auditions for talents for “future productions” of the Vietnam War musical that launched the international career of Lea Salonga.
Go earned raves for her performance in last year’s “The Little Mermaid,” while Rivera is currently starring as Princess Jasmine in “Aladdin.” Both musicals were staged by Atlantis Productions.
Talent manager Carlo Orosa on Tuesday posted photos of Go and Rivera during the auditions held at the Philippine Opera Company’s headquarters in Makati.
|Rachelle Ann Go talks to media at the auditions for “Miss Saigon” on Tuesday in Makati.Photo from the Facebook page of Carlo Orosa|
“Today’s Miss Saigon callbacks RACHELLE ANN GO and K-La Rivera!” Orosa posted on Facebook.
But it wasn’t all good news for the numerous celebrities hoping to make it to the West End show.
Among them are Sitti Navarro, who appeared in the local productions of “Spring Awakening” and “Nine,” and “Pinoy Dream Academy” Season 2 winner Laarni Lozada.
“(Laarni) did you get called back? I didn’t e,” Navarro asked Lozada via Twitter.
“Nope. Didn’t make it …It wasn’t meant for us :(” Lozada replied.
According to the website BroadwayWorld.com, 60 out of 420 auditionees got callbacks on Monday, the first day of auditions, which will continue until Thursday.
Apart from Karylle, Dos Santos, Manila-born Singaporean singer-actress Julia Abueva and veteran theater actor Jake Macapagal, theater actors Lorenz Martinez, OJ Mariano, Noel Rayos, Cathy Azanza, Kyla Rivera, Cara Barredo, Topper Fabregas and Jay Pangilinan also made the short list on Monday, the website said.
Martinez is currently starring in “The King and I,” while Mariano is gearing up for the revival of “Rama Hari,” which opens next week and also stars Karylle.
On Tuesday, Orosa reported that Repertory Philippines actor Red Concepcion also made the callbacks, while another Rep regular Caisa Borromeo said on Twitter that she also made it to the next round.
In an interview with ABS-CBN News on Tuesday, Karylle said she felt nervous during her turn at the auditions, which she described as the longest one minute of her life.
SOURCE: ABS-CBN NEWS
- Exclusive Photo Coverage: MISS SAIGON Auditionees Register in Manila! (broadwayworld.com)
- Exclusive Update: 60 Out of 420 Got Callbacks on First Day of MISS SAIGON Auditions (broadwayworld.com)
- Registration Open for MISS SAIGON London Revival Auditions (broadwayworld.com)
- Sarah Geronimo should try her luck in ‘Miss Saigon’ (examiner.com)
- Breaking News: West End Revival of MISS SAIGON to Hold Auditions in Manila, 11/19-27 (philippines.broadwayworld.com)
- MISS SAIGON Audition Tips from Other Actresses that Played Kim (philippines.broadwayworld.com)
- Joanna Ampil snags UK ‘Grizabella’ (entertainment.inquirer.net)
- TV Special for Carmina Villaroel-Zoren Legaspi Wedding ‘Always, Forever (A Wedding Like No Other)’ Airs in ABS-CBN (entervrexworld.wordpress.com)
- Marian Rivera-Coco Martin Movie Is Officially Shelved! (entervrexworld.wordpress.com)