After starring as the original “aswang” in an independent film early this year, Erich Gonzales is now out to hunt these vampire-like creatures in an upcoming fantasy series on ABS-CBN.
The Kapamilya actress will star opposite Coco Martin in “Juan dela Cruz,” which was formally launched along with seven other new shows Wednesday night at the ABS-CBN Thanksgiving Trade Launch at the NBC Tent in Taguig City.
“This time iba naman ang role ko,” Gonzales told ABS-CBN News at the sidelines of the trade event. “Isa akong aswang hunter. Kumbaga, astig, palaban.”
Early this year, the “Star Circle Quest” winner took on the title role in Richard Somes’ “Corazon: Ang Unang Aswang,” which traces the origins of the mythical creature in the 1940s.
Referring to Martin as her leading man in “Juan,” Gonzales said, “Masaya ako na makatrabaho siya ulit, dahil last naming trabaho, ‘yung ‘Noy’ pa, and ngayon sa isang teleserye naman, and masaya.”
Gonzales, 22, is referring to the 2010 indie film that centers on a journalist (Martin) chronicling the campaign trail of his namesake and then-presidential aspirant Sen. Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III.
In “Juan,” Martin will portray the latest in the lineage of the “Tagapagbantay.” Bearing a holy cross that can shift into different weapons — a whip, a staff, an arrow, and a sword — the 31-year-old actor’s character will battle the forces of evil.
The twist: He also bears “aswang” blood.
According to the debut trailer for “Juan” shown Wednesday night to advertisers, the new Kapamilya soap is from the makers of the top-rating series “Walang Hanggan” and “May Bukas Pa.”
Like the inspirational 2009 drama series, “Juan” also aims to impart values anchored on faith in God.
In the trailer for “Juan,” the character of Mylene Dizon in the soap, Amelia, lays out the means to combat the “aswang” blood of Martin’s character. “Kailangan palakihin natin siya sa kabutihan, na may pagmamahal sa kapwa, at pananampalataya sa Diyos,” she says.
“Ito naman hinahandog namin para sa kabataan, sa pamilya, sa mga nanay, tatay,” Martin said Wednesday night. “Sana suportahan parin nila tulad ng suporta nila sa ‘Walang Hanggan.'”
Set for a release in the first quarter of 2013, “Juan dela Cruz” stars an all-star cast including Albert Martinez, Zsa Zsa Padilla, Joel Torre, Gina Pareno, Louise Abuel, Lotlot de Leon, Neil Coleta, Arron Villaflor, Jaime Fabregas and Izzy Canillo.
- ABS-CBN Reveals New TV Shows Line-Up For 1st Quarter of 2013! (entervrexworld.wordpress.com)
- Erich Gonzales Is The Next Leading Lady of Coco Martin For 2013 Drama! (entervrexworld.wordpress.com)
- Erich Gonzales Clarifies Engagement To Non-Showbiz Boyfriend, “I Am Not Engaged” (entervrexworld.wordpress.com)
- Marian Rivera-Coco Martin Movie Is Officially Shelved! (entervrexworld.wordpress.com)
- Suddenly It’s Magic Hits P25.87 Million in 5 Days; A Secret Affair Earns P95.17M in 2 Weeks; This Guy’s In Love With You Mare Accumulates P238.78M in 4 Weeks; Tiktik: The Aswang Chronicles Rakes 69.02 in 3 Weeks! (entervrexworld.wordpress.com)
- Katherine Luna On Coco Martin With Regards To Financial Support to Their Daughter, “7 Years With No Help Coming From Him” (entervrexworld.wordpress.com)
- Indie fest yields exceptional portrayals (entertainment.inquirer.net)